Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas. Because of those 3 identifiers, Carbon Monoxide has earned the moniker "The Silent Killer". Often times people are dead before anyone knows any better.

Carbon Monoxide is produced when fuels liek gas, natural gases, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal are burned. When these items are burned in a non-ventilated or poorly ventilated space, a build up of CO will form and can lead to Carbon Monoxide poisoning. CO poisoning is when carbon monoxide builds up in your blood. When there is too much CO in the air, the human body replaces the oxygen in it's red blood cells with carbon monoxide. This can lead to tissue damage, especially of the lungs, or even death.

Symptoms of CO Poisoning:

  • Headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea/Vomiting
  • Trouble Breathing
  • Confusion
  • Blurred Vision
  • Drowsiness
  • Loss of Muscle Control
  • Loss of Consciousness

Subsequent Symptoms of Further Damage/Illness:

  • Memory Loss
  • Personality Changes
  • Movement Problems

Preventing CO Poisoning:

  • Install a Carbon Monoxide detector
  • Have your fuel-burning appliances regularly maintained
  • Do not use fuel-burning heaters indoors (that includes your oven)
  • Make sure your fuel-burning appliances are vented properly
  • Don't use open flames indoors

When/Where can Carbon Monoxide Strike:

  • A building during a fire
  • Your home, anytime, if you use fuel burning appliances
  • Your car, due to faulty exhaust system
  • Your car, if snow/mud/etc. clogs the pipe
  • Buildings/businesses that use fuel burning appliances